On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:47 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:

>>> I have to say I've NEVER run specs backwards.  Am I sitting on a
>>> time
>>> bomb?  Are there subtle traps that can create inter-dependencies
>>> between specs?  To look at my specs I would not assume that running
>>> order matters - I don't think I've ever used before(:all) for
>>> example.
>>>
>>> Ashkey
>>>
>> Our team uses Test::Unit and numerous inter-dependencies have
>> crept in.
>> Our team is also slowly moving to rspec.
>>
>> Part of resolving the inter-dependencies is:
>>
>> 1) education
>> 2) early detection
>>
>> I don't want to be the "dependency police" particularly if rspec
>> can do
>> the job automatically for everyone on the team.
>
> Well - I don't think rspec should do this implicitly - that might
> cause quite a bit of confusion for unsuspecting devs trying to debug.
>
> I command line arg like --toggle_reverse might work - but you'll have
> to submit a feature request in the tracker and probably a patch if you
> want to see it any time soon. Very low priority on my list.

I really like this idea, especially having had the following experience:

My coworker had no failing tests with rake spec, but I was having
failing tests with Autotest.  He had introduced something into before
(:all) which stored some data into the database.  Oddly enough - the
tests weren't failing for him, although they were failing in reverse
for me- showing a dependency between the specs.  The worst part is
that he was convinced this was a non-problem (because they were
passing for him).

I would implement this patch, if I had some good idea where I should
store the state of the last test run (without adding an extra text
file to my project).

Scott