On Dec 30, 2007 10:09 PM, Francis Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> and-paste smells like untested code to me.
> >
> > 15-20 years ago, unit tests were not a widespread industry practice :)
> >   This code's in a procedural language that really, really doesn't do
> > unit tests well.  I've been trying, too.  Almost wrote a pre-
> > processor,
> > till I thought about the maintenance nightmare that'd cause.
>
> Right, that's why I ask. I think working with languages, tools, and
> frameworks that are easier to test is a great advantage to how we all
> worked 10 or more years ago ... I suspect part of that luxury
> translates in being able to actually design _less_, since the cost of
> fixing our design mistakes in the future goes down significantly.

I don't think of it as designing less. (B/T)DD means designing
incrementally.  I read recently something where someone made a
distinction between invention and discovery.  Rather than sitting down
'ahead of time' and inventing a design, you can discover the design as
you go.

The tests/specs become the design documentation themselves, and can
evolve as requirements change or are refined as the process continues.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/