On Jan 27, 2008 3:33 PM, Corey Haines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> This isn't about rspec, but this list has people whose opinions I respect.
>
> So, I'm looking for a new version control system for my local development. I
> was going to install subversion, but I've heard rumors of people using some
> newer ones. Thoughts? I'd like to be able to run it either locally or on a
> home server. If I run it off a home server, then it needs to support offline
> access, so that I can use a cached version when I'm not on my home network.
> For simplicity's sake, running it locally is probably a better solution.
>
> What do you all use?

I use mercurial and git. I really like them both for different
reasons. I'd recommend you play with both for a minute and see which
one appeals to you.

They're both distributed scm, which means what you have locally is a
complete repository from which you can checkout, branch, merge, etc.
Then you can pull and push changesets (in hg-speak) or commits (in
git-speak) from and to other repos.

Either way - dscm is a completely different experience from working w/
a remote svn repo. I'm quite certain you'll enjoy exploring it.

Cheers,
David