On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Max Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm using before(:all) because i want to create a single 'family' of tree
> objects and then run tests against it.  If i have all the object creation as
> a before(:each) then the database will be even more full of duplications,
> won't it?

No. If you have use_transactional_fixtures set to true, each example
is run in a transaction, which is rolled back at the end of the
example.

This does not happen for you implicitly when you use before(:all)
because there is no mechanism for running a group of examples in a
transaction.

> My problem, though, is that the data is left over from the last time (in
> fact all previous times) that i ran the spec file, where i thought that it
> was cleared out.  Do i need to explicitly tell the database to clear all the
> records in an 'after' block?

Yes.  If you want to use before(:all) to set up data, you need to use
after(:all) to clean it up explicitly.

Please beware that this approach is extremely error prone over time.
If you ever introduce a side effect (intentionally or accidentally)
that modifies the data, you're going to look at the spec, see the data
you're setting up and incorrectly think that that's the data every
example is using. It is much, much safer (and more sane) to use
before(:each) even though it may slow things down a bit.

HTH,
David