On 21 May 2008, at 21:37, Erik Terpstra wrote:

I am new to RSpec and BDD.
I was wondering if RSpec specifications are a good solution for testing REST webservices (not implemented in Rails). If so, what would be a good way to test something like the API described below?

Hi Erik

RSpec would be fine to test that, it's just a web app returning XML instead of HTML. You don't say what you are building the web service in. If you want acceptance/integration-style specs that are implementation-independent, you could use the story runner with steps to make HTTP requests. And look at Kyle's rspec_hpricot_matchers for a way of specifying XML output. You will also want unit specs for your models, controllers etc which will be more framework-dependent.

That's all I can offer based on your description.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://aviewfromafar.net/