Rick DeNatale wrote:

I've done something similar, but I might have handled the steps implementation a bit differently in that I'm not sure my approach would be called stateless.

For example say I had (in a very abstract form)

    Given 'Rick' has admin privileges
    Then 'Rick' can do admin function X

In the step for the given, I'd get or create an admin user named rick, and set an instance variable say @admin Then in the step for the then, I'd have an expectation that the name of @admin matched the name given in the step.
This was a way of catching cases where the story mixed up actors.

Although the short example doesn't really emphasize the problem I was trying to solve, I'm not sure in retrospect whether or not this was a valuable thing to do.

I like this discussion because it shows the ways different people have solved a
very practical problem.

I don't think what you describe is "bad", I do something very similar with my integration tests that test a RESTFUL API based web service that returns XML to requests.

I use Hpricot to test the responses, but as this is not rails, I have to store the response between steps.

A contrived Example...

Scenario "test get resource list"
  Given "database has 10 resources
  When "request made to list resources"
  Then "10 resources are returned"

In my case the Given actually clears the resource table and populates it with 10 resources, I access the database directly using the Sequel Gem, however if the database is remote this is problematic.

The When makes the RESTful request via http. and captures the result as an
Hpricot object.
The When step looks something like this...

  When "..." do
   resp = @req_http.post(path, params, headers)

    if resp.code != "200"
      raise "#{resp.code} #{resp.message}"
    end

    @hdoc = Hpricot.XML(resp.body)
  end

The Then step looks something like this...

  Then "$cnt resources are returned" do |cnt|
    @hdoc.should have_xpath("/resources", :count => cnt)
    @hdoc.should have_xpath("/resources/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'1']")
    @hdoc.should have_xpath("/resources/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'2']")
    ...etc...
  end

I have a custom hpricot matcher which provides the have_xpath matcher

Yes this is stateful, but the @hdoc variable is central to the tests and I don't see any other way to carry the response from the When to the Then, unless you combine the step in a then and skip the when, so you don't have to carry state across the steps, but I prefer the first method as I can run more tests on the returned document.

e.g.
  Then "requesting a list of resources returns 10 items"

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com