On Nov 24, 2012, at 3:00 AM, Andrew Premdas wrote:

> The book is quite old now. It still has great value for understanding core
> BDD principles, and for covering the range of things you can do with RSpec,
> but if you use it as a guide to follow step by step without sufficient
> background understanding you might get bitten by its age. The Cucumber book
> might be better to use with Rails for this.

I thought the book might be old so I checked the date.  The last update was
Sep. 2012 so I thought it was going to have been updated.  But it is still
talking about webrat instead of Capybara.

I took your advice and scored me a Cucumber book.  I have way plenty to read.
Hopefully I can surf the books and web and come up to speed.  I think I need to
start "doing"... I've read and re-read various tutorials already.

On a different note: I walked through Chapter 19 last night and when I did
"rake cucumber", an old friend came up to bite me.

I use PostgreSQL and I want to have foreign keys and as many constraints down
in the database as possible.  In fact, I've written a gem to help with this:

https://github.com/pedz/activerecord_constraints

"rake cucumber" had some issues which I had to work through.  Fortunately, I've
been here before so it wasn't that hard.

Back when I first started Rails (2006) and fighting with fixtures and the
general fact that the Rails community scoffs at database constraints, my
experience with the testing aspect of rails was horrible.  Every turn I took I
was hit with something I had to fix and overcome.  "fixtures" back then and the
other parts of the Rails test stack fought against me every step of the way.  I
also deeply questioned any group who assumed their application could actually
implement constraints rather than putting them down in the database proper.

I very much hope this experience is different.

One thing I'm hoping to achieve / figure out is what "Uncle Bob" outlined in
his "Forgotten Years" video where the application itself can be extracted away
from the database and tested on its own.  The other books I've been reading
vaguely point the way for this but I'm still not clear.  I don't think I'll be
clear on how to do it until I actually do it.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions and sorry (again) for the duplicate
post.
pedz