On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Ervin Weber <weber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello is it possible to make something like following:
>
> RSpec::Matchers.define :be_json do |expected|
>   match do |actual|
>     JSON.parse(actual) == expected
>   end
>
>   description do
>     if html? # to html formatter output this
>        "return JSON:\n#{JSON.pretty_generate(expected)}"
>     else # for other formats condensed output
>       "return JSON:\n#{expected}"
>     end
>   end
> end
>
> I plan to use this running two formatters at same time  -f doc and -f
> html at same time to produce pretty HTML file,  and relatively
> condensed doc in console.

I don't think there's any good way to do this. There is no concept of "the
current formatter" and I don't think this one case would be sufficient to
introduce one. Custom formatters won't work because the formatters don't
have access to the matcher to get its description (that happens in a
different part of the system).

Also, even if there were such a mechanism, it would only work with the one
liner (e.g. it { should be_json(expected_json) }) form - another reason why
it wouldn't be general enough to add to RSpec IMO.

If you have different ideas about how it might work, feel free to submit a
feature request to https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/issues.

Cheers,
David