On  8 Dec 2000, Donovan Baarda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> G'day,

G'day :_)

> Well, I finaly got around to finishing this off enought to seek comment. I
> have implemented the rsync algorithm in pure python. It's not fast, but it
> works, and is very simple. The whole thing is about 300 lines, and half of
> those are explanations and musings in comments.

That's great to hear.  I'll download it and have a look.

One goal here is to get the network formats clean and standardized
enough that people can understand them and reimplement them.
Everything so far should be simple to do in Pure Python using the
struct module.

> I must confess that the source to xdelta, libhsync, and rsync all scared me
> a bit which is why I thought I'd write a simple version.

libhsync is going to get considerably less scary when I stop going my
own IO.  I wish I'd realized this months ago.

--
Martin Pool                        http://linuxcare.com.au/rproxy/
rproxy accelerates HTTP by dynamic caching and differential update