In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan
 Phoenix writes:

> where does the file list caching go?

Err... nowhere, at the moment.  The list that rsync builds in memory
containing the file names to be transferred and their signatures is
right now built from scratch for every request.  For a site which
mirrors the same of data to a lot of clients, it makes sense to allow
caching of the file list so that this is done just once every so often.

If you search the mailing list archives you'll find a few messages
about the issue.

-- Alberto

> > Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:42:34 -0500
> > From: Alberto Accomazzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Martin Pool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: news of the rproxy world
> >
> > In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martin Pool writes:
> >
> > > I hope this can eventually replace the coding functions in rsync,
> > > although at the moment Rusty is going ahead on rsync 3.0 with a much
> > > simpler and less flexible library.
> >
> > This is the first time I hear of rsync 3.0 -- could you (or Rusty)
> > comment on the planned features and timeline?  Presumably this will
> > include the incremental directory tree creation and transfer that
> > Tridge was talking about way back when?  Of maybe file list caching?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Alberto
> >

> > ***************************************************************************
*
> > Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.ed
> > Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.ed
> > 60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
*

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA