In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Sean J. Schluntz" writes:

> >> That's what I figured.  Well, I need it for a project so I guess you all
> >> won't mind if I code it and submit a patch ;)
> >>
> >> How does --revisions=XXX sound.  --revisions=0 would be unlimited, any oth
er
> >> number would be the limiter for the number of revisions.
> >
> >And when it reaches that number, do you want it to delete old
> >revisions, or stop making new revisions?
>
> You would delete the old one as you continue rolling down.
>

> >Perhaps something like --backup=numeric would be a better name.  In
> >the long term it might be better to handle this with scripting.

I would suggest no reinventing the wheel and doing this the way GNU cp
does it:

  -V, --version-control=WORD   override the usual version control

The backup suffix is ~, unless set with SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX.  The
version control may be set with VERSION_CONTROL, values are:

  t, numbered     make numbered backups
  nil, existing   numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise
  never, simple   always make simple backups

Unless there is some overwhelming reason not follow this scheme.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA