On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, L. Cranswick wrote:

> > So I recompiled OpenSSH to use a different port, and have a different name
> > (BrokenSSH, or "bs" for short).  I installed it on the receiving box in a
> > chrooted environment, configured its sshd_config and ran it thorugh tcp
> > wrappers so that only one account could be accessed from only one
> > IP.  Then I just called it on the sending box with rsync's -e
> > switch.  rsync -varpogte bs --stats /var/www/ incoming@mirror:/var/www/
> Are there any good tutorials on this?

Not yet.  :)  But, I might be persuaded to write one.  Although, most
people don't like the documentation I write, becuase my tendency would be
to just make an RPM of the modified SSH rather than to write a HOWTO.

> One thing that is rarely stated is the amount of time and extra effort
> needed to set things up.  While in theory, users could be tunnelling
> FTP and Rsync via SSH to update files - how many users do this?
> I don't think I have persuaded one person to do this - they all
> think it too inconvenient - too much new stuff to learn - and it
> takes discipline to stick with it.

All my users.  I'm mean.  But, every single user that I've taught
ssh/scp/rsync to has found them easier to use than telnet/ftp.  I think
it's all in the delivery - Most people teach SSH with "It might sound more
complicated, but it's more secure," while I start off with "This is a lot
easier once you've done it once or twice, and it's more secure too!"

> (Many of these secure techniques also assume admin rights on the remote
> machine. Or that the remote admin has plenty of time to spend helping out
> on this things.  Both flawed assuptions.)

Yup.  I can't count the number of times I've installed sshd in my homedir
on someone else's box that didn't want to run it.  The only problem is
that I have to make it listen on a higher port.  But it gets really scary
when I do this and the admins don't notice.  I tell them, of course, but I
think a good admin should be able to notice this stuff on their own.

--
Rob Russell               Senior Systems Analyst
613-224-6676 x332            N-able Technologies