I am using a 64 bit sun solaris box and latest 2.4.6 rsync.
I am in the middle of converting my scripts to use rsync.conf method
to take load off nfs. I will have approx 40 freebsd machines connecting
concurrently to this box at any given time.

gcc compiler was used Lachlan. All seems to work now....i may have to
fiddle with max connection setting to figure out how much i can beat on
this thing at 1 given time.