On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 03:12:27PM +1200, Wilson, Mark - MST wrote:
> Dave
>
> A couple of points:
>
> 1. I think you are telling me that if I go back to 2.3.2 my problems should
> go away. Is this correct?

Hopefully, assuming you trigger the optimization (no wildcards in the
includes followed by an exclude '*', no --delete).  It depends on what
exactly is failing though.

> 2. I rather oversimplified how I am using rsync... Perhaps I had better
> explain. If I can do some testing for you I am happy to do so, however there
> is quite a bit of pressure for me to get my problem fixed. This I must do
> first.
> Anyway, the purpose of all this verbosity is two fold. Firstly you need to
> tell me, given my environment, how you want your testing done and secondly
> if you had any ideas of how to fix my problem. If we can't fix it we will
> have to do the backup to tape and send it on a plane method -which we really
> want to avoid.

Try rsync 2.3.2 on both ends and see what the result is.

What transport method are you using (rsh, ssh, or rsync --daemon mode)?

> As a thought, have you or any of the other developers thought of getting
> rsync to operate over a number of streams or to use "sliding windows" to
> overcome latency effects?

I don't recall that that subject has been discussed much on the mailing list
since I've been participating.  It was my understanding that rsync already
pipelines pretty well in both directions.

- Dave Dykstra