In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >, "Jim Ogi
lvie" writes:

> Hi,
>
> I know rsync creates temp files in the destination directory  and
> then at some point renames them to the original file name.  Therefore
> the destination directories need to be larger than the source directories.
>
> I'm trying to find a way to calculate how much larger the destination
> directories
> need to be. How does rsync decide when to rename them?  Is it by directory?

rsync will transfer files one at a time, so you need to have at least
as much disk space as the largest file in a directory being syncronized.
If your files are large enough that this becomes a problem, I suggest
you use the -T option which makes rsync use a separate temporary
directory.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA