No, you misunderstood him: he meant that --delete would delete things, not
the lack of it.  Of course if that's what you want then you need to put it
in.

Yes, your command line should work.  Note, however, that when copying
between two filesystems mounted on the local machine, people have seen
hangs more often than remote, and Wayne Davison's nohang patch (now in
the rsync CVS tree) has helped a lot of people.  Also for improved
performance definitely use -W to disable the rsync rolling checksum
algorithm, and don't use -z.  The rsync algorithm, and rsync's primary
reason for existence, is to optimize the network traffic between two
endpoints, but in your case the two endpoints are on the same machine as
far as rsync knows.

- Dave Dykstra