On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:35:00PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2001, Kevin Faust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >     I am running rsync on lots of Win2K machines. It was built from the
> > rsync 2.4.6 sources using Cygwin.
> >
> >     One issue, the rsyncd.conf file requires a "use chroot=false" for
> > the deamon to run on Windows.
>
> The 'use chroot' flag is a fairly reliable source of confusion,
> because it fails under two important circumstances: running as
> non-root, running on Win32 (or possibly others).  On the other hand,
> if you are running as root, then it might be better to always use
> chroot.
>
> So, perhaps if we can't chroot we should just issue a warning, unless
> a "require chroot" flag is set, in which case we fail.

I implemented the "use chroot = false" option (before that it always used
to use chroot no matter what), and I don't think it's a good idea to add
yet another rsyncd.conf flag because I think that would only increase
confusion.   We could change the default on Win32 to "true".  We could also
change it to true if not running as root on Unix, but I would hesitate to
do so because I don't have complete confidence in the robustness of the
security checking when running without chroot.  It would be fine to add to
the error message about chroot failing to suggest to people to look at the
"use chroot = false" option; in fact, I thought that's what it was doing
but I don't see it in there and I went back into the cvsweb archive and it
looks like it never was there.

- Dave