On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Dave Dykstra wrote:

> > rsync [options] -e ssh source [...] [user@]host:::module[/path]
> > rsync [options] -e ssh [user@]host:::module[/path] dest
>
> I'm uncomfortable with adding yet another syntax.  I'd prefer just keying
> off the "-e" when the two colons are used.  Currently "-e" is ignored if
> you use two colons, so we don't need to worry about upward compatibility
> except from people who had no idea what they were doing.
>
> I see that your change works even with the default rsh transport, but if
> people really want that they can say '-e rsh'.

That's a very good point.  In my thinking about syntax, I was somewhat
misled by the standard practice at my site -- we habitually use
RSYNC_RSH=ssh in the environment instead of '-e ssh' (so I tend to
forget about that option).

I'll get rid of the ':::' (as much as I'm fond of it) and re-submit
the diffs; that change won't take much.  It'll probably take more time
to modify the man page than the code...

Thanks!
                                        JD
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]