I presume the option --copy-unsafe-links really means to copy the file
contents a symlink points to, even outside the tree being copyed, rather
than make a symlink on the destination.

What I find is that if a symlink on the source is dangling, that is,
it points to nothing that exists, that symlink is not created at the
destination.

What I want is for all symlinks to be reproduced as symlinks exactly,
regardless of whether what they point to happens to exist at the moment
or not.  How can I get this?  The option --links is only working when
the symlink actually points to something (e.g. stat() succeeds).  But
if stat() fails, even though lstat() would succeed, the symlink is not
copied.