On 31 Jul 2002, Dave Dykstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes I think a new release is needed soon, but there's more patches than
> that that should get in.

We need to weigh up getting functions in vs making steps small enough
that the chance of breakage is acceptable.

I am afraid that at the moment our only means of getting really good
cross-platform test coverage for rsync is to throw a release out, and
so that inclines me towards being conservative in what we put in.
Hopefully we can try to get people on the list testing -rc releases
more aggressively.

> A bunch of them have been posted and I was hoping you were keeping
> track of them and would be putting more of them in.

I will try to read back through the list and see about merging them
this week, with a view to a release candidate on about the 11th, and a
release about a week after that.

> The patch that I'd most like to see get in JD Paul's patch for using SSH
> and daemon mode together.  We still don't have an agreement on what the
> syntax should be.  I think the combination of -e ssh and :: which he
> implemented is the most understandable syntax and we should just go with
> it.

I agree that it would be really good to support it.

However, -e and :: seem to be a persistent source of confusion for new
users.  I'm not sure if this change will help those people, or what if
anything would be better.  (More later on this.)

--
Martin