Using an rsync (V2.5.6, Tru64 Unix 5.1A) command of the form:

        rsync -avz --delete /some/dir remhost:/some/other/dir

where /some/dir has about 460,000 files in it, I get:

building file list ... done
ERROR: out of memory in make_file
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at
/usr/common/src/rsync-2.5.6/util.c(115)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/usr/common/src/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(165)

However, rsync has only increased in resident size to about 72 MB at this
point, while I have limits of:

        cputime         unlimited
        filesize        unlimited
        datasize        8192MB
        stacksize       1024MB
        coredumpsize    unlimited
        resident        16033MB
        descriptors     4096
        addressspace    8192MB

Any comments? I have not seen anything in the archives that addresses
this. Thanks,

-smt