cat listofwhatyouwant |while read item
do
rsync -options "$item" "destination:`dirname $item"
done
if you want each directory and below, a recursive goes into the options
(explicitely with "r" or implicitely with "a").
I used to have to do something similar to that all the time, as we were
using sub-functional NAS devices (anybody ever hear of Maxtor?) and
couldn't complete a sync in a single run - makes --delete nearly useless.

BTW:  Martin, Tridge, Wayne, et. al. - I'm back!  That was way too long of
a "vacation".

Tim Conway
AIX System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don Shesnicky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
02/26/2004 03:20 PM

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
exclude everything and include directories

Anyone? Even a yea or nea at this point would be appreciated.

Don

-----

I'm trying to update some laptops from a large server directory for an
EDA app.

Most of the time I just rsync the entire directory and exclude the odd
item. In this case it's the reverse where I want to exclude everything
but include  only the odd directory. I thought it'd be easy but can't seem
to get the exclude then include options correct. It seems that when you
exclude everything you then need to include file by file. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Don