On Wed 05 May 2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Runtime check? Right. Think about distributions that offer both 2.4.x
> and 2.6.x. For sure you won't like to deliver two rsync versions to your
> users:) ...and because IPV6_V6ONLY exists in 2.4.21 upwards, I think
> that's not a major problem. Hey, these kernels do have known root
> exploits, so it's time for an update!

Yep, that was what I was thinking (talking with my "Debian rsync
maintainer" hat on).  The point about older kernels being insecure is a
good one. Unfortunately, it also possible to patch older kernels to fix
the security problems (like Debian does).  However, that's not really an
issue for me, as this version of rsync will only go into the new
distribution, not to the current stable one (which has the old kernels).

> So if there's a but, don't hide it, but work towards fixing it.

Agreed.

Paul Slootman