> Now, how could I delete or change attribute or the files on machine1
> other then having to reformat the drive.

You simply need to gain owership of the files.

Select the files, pop up the properties.

Choose the security tab and see who does have permission to access these files.

If its not an administrator then click on the Advanced icon under the listing of the
permissions.

Then choose Owner and change the owner to someone who is an admin of the computer.

Obviously you need to logon to XP as a administrator.

You can avoid this problem in the future by ensuring that the rsync server  rsync.conf
file uses the uid, gid of an adminstrator or a username/groupname of an account that
can normally access these files?

Does the username you set up to run rsync as a Service also set up to be in the same
group that has permission to access these files.