On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:54:00AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:15:18PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> > I've looked at the shell command hack but don't see a way to get a
> > remote 'rm /mydir/foo' to execute that way.
>
> If you're using ssh or rsh as your rsync connection, you can simply do
> this:
>
>     ssh host rm /mydir/foo /mydir/bar /yourdir/baz
>
> or even this:
>
>     ssh host xargs rm -rf </tmp/local-list-of-files-and-dirs
>
> If you're trying to do this by talking to a daemon or a restricted
> rsync-only ssh setup, you should be able to transfer an empty directory
> with some simple excludes to do what you want, but it's easiest to copy
> into each directory separately.  For instance, if you want to delete
> mydir/foo, mydir/bar, and yourdir/baz on host "host" in module "mod",
> you could do this:
>
> mkdir emptydir
> rsync -av --include=foo --include=bar --exclude='*' --delete emptydir/
> host::mod/mydir
> rsync -av --include=baz --exclude='*' --delete emptydir/ host::mod/yourdir
> rmdir emptydir

Thanks. I opted for the straight ssh option and it
solved the problem in a simple and foolproof way. I don't
know why I didn't think of that. But there you go. The
value of having people to talk to.

   Dale Amon     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
              "Have Laptop, Will Travel"