I forgot to mention that in playing around with differential/incremental rsync approaches, I came across a tool called rdiff-backup (uses librsync) that takes a very efficient approach. I just started checking it out.

Lee Cullens wrote:

There are some notes at http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Rsyn and I remember seeing other such approaches (but can't put my finger on them at the moment).
Lee C

Darcy Bangsund wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to keep a mirror and 7 day incremental backup between to 2 mount points.

I want to rsync everything from /mnt/production/ to /mnt/backup/production/ on the same server.
Nothing fancy.

But ,

I Want to utilize the --delete option for files that no longer exist on /mnt/production/ that have been on /mnt/backup/production/ for longer then 7 days.

I can't use the BACKUPDIR=`date +%A`, multiple directory method, as the amount of data I'm dealing with is to great to kept track of easily that way

I need the backup files to be a mirror of the original with 7 days of extra data.

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanx

darcy