Peter van der Meer wrote:
The ProxyCommand option in ssh usually contains space-characters, so it would not work in your example. Interpretation by a shell would solve this, but there are other possible sollutions as well.

True! You are right!

If rsync would give this command to another shell, then this shell would call ssh with parameters:
1 -o
2 ProxyCommand corkscrew myhttpProxy
3+ parameters from rsync to ssh (like hostname)

This should work.

But rsync will split the ssh command on spaces and call ssh with parameters:
1 -o
2 "ProxyCommand
3 corkscrew
4 myhttpProxy"
5+ parameters from rsync to ssh (like hostname)

This could not work, because ssh cannot understand the -o option.

Nice explanation. I think you are absolutely right. The conclusion is that -e should evaluate its argument in a shell. Does everybody else agree with this? It would be nice to hear some counter-arguments. Otherwise, should I fill a bug report/feature request?

Cheers,

        Manuel.

______________________________________________ Renovamos el Correo Yahoo! Nuevos servicios, más seguridad http://correo.yahoo.es