René Rebe wrote:
Hi,

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 04:28, John Gallagher wrote:

The problem is that I have no clue what to do with this and or how to make
it work with my script.

If you want hide errors, remove the -e from your sh invocation or add || true
at the end of the rsync invocation.

Though I would not do either in a backup script. Better would be to just ignore
some of rsync's return codes.

It seems to me you are getting what you are asking for. From the sh manpage:

   -e      Exit immediately if a simple command (see SHELL GRAMMAR above) exits
           with a non-zero status.  The shell does not exit if the command that
           fails  is  part of the command list immediately following a while or
           until keyword, part of the test in an if statement, part of a &&  or
           ||  list,  or if the command's return value is being inverted via !.
           A trap on ERR, if set, is executed before the shell exits.

If you want to handle errors from rsync in your shell script, then remove the "-e" and test for errors after your call to rsync.

Linus