On 10.5.2007, at 2:16, Tom Riley wrote:

I have 2 mounts on a single computer the production mount is 100gigs
(/msgstore) and contains rough 17 million small files (email message
store), and a newly created 500g ufs file system (/mnt)

However, the curiosity comes in with my source data taking up 86gigs of
data on a 100g partition, and as the copy progresses the destination
drive is reporting 240 gigs of usage.

So as far as I can tell, rsync is working and the data integrity seems
good, it's simply taking up 2.5 times the space.

The simplest possibility is that the two partitions are using different block size, so a small file that occupies one block is taking more disk space on the partition with larger block size.

izidor