Kyle Lanclos wrote:
Peter Salameh wrote:
One of the speed-limiting issues with rsync is having to send huge file lists when mirroring large file systems, even for incremental updates where only a small part of the file system might have changed.

Personally, I find that the sending of the file list, whether incremental
or otherwise, takes orders of magnitude less time than the construction of
the file list in the first place. The act of stat'ing millions of files
takes an enormous amount of time in comparison to just about anything else,
assuming that you are not on a low-bandwidth link.
Many of the locations I mirror do have low-bandwidth links, and I imagine that a sizable fraction of rsync users have issues with bandwidth at least some of the time. I have not studied rsync internals either, but I imagine using a checksum to avoid sending directory file lists unnecessarily would not hurt anything and would help folks with lower bandwidth.

Peter