On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Matt McCutchen <m...@mattmccutchen.net>wrote:

> It looks like the implementation has the receiver hang around for a
> hard-coded 10 seconds, accepting data from the sender and discarding it.

No, it sets a timeout of 10 seconds (i.e. 10 seconds of inactivity), which
in the new protocol should never be reached because the "we're exiting with
an error" message gets everyone to die in unison.  The necessity of
discarding data is there due to the pipelining nature of rsync, particularly
if the error is coming from the receiver.

..wayne..