On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 11:46 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Matt McCutchen <m...@mattmccutchen.net>wrote:
>
> > POSIX is unclear about whether walking a path where a non-final component
> > is missing is allowed to return ENOTDIR.
> >

> Yes, posix may be unclear, but I don't think this alternate interpretation
> is useful when a much better interpretation exists.

It's not our decision which interpretation of POSIX is correct; we would
have to request an official clarification.  But I just noticed that the
general description of ENOTDIR states the Linux interpretation:

[ENOTDIR]
        Not a directory. A component of the specified pathname exists,
        but it is not a directory, when a directory was expected.

I have filed a request to clarify the meaning of ENOTDIR for all
syscalls:

http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=324

In any event, it is your (Wayne's) decision whether it's a goal for
rsync to work on all POSIX-conforming systems, but if you are deciding
"no", please be clear.

--
Matt