On 7/15/2011 2:42 PM, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
On 15.07.2011 13:10, Donald Pearson wrote:

Matthias,

A vpn tunnel is an interesting idea.  Do you know how long you're able to
keep rsync in limbo before it will give up?

I haven't really tried. But it was about 15 Minutes the one time it
didn't reconnect in time.

The issue I think is keeping the sockets open, thereby keeping the processes
active.

The problem is that TCP really isn't made for transfer over an
unreliable medium.

Besides rsync, the OSes on both sides also have to keep the connction
running, but i really don't know which knobs have to be turned to extent
the time after which the OS times out the connect.

My first guess was the tcp_fin_timeout setting of the Ubuntu operating
system, but this is set for 60 seconds.  Leaving everything alone I see
roughly 6 minutes before the rsync client errors out.

tcp_fin is, AFAIK, after you close the socket normaly.

Thanks again for everybody's help and by all means keep the ideas coming.  I
am trying new angles as I come up with them, I haven't given up on this yet.

I got another idea.

If you have the storage on the source-side, to keep the state of the
target-side. You can create batch-files (--write-batch&  Co.). Of couse
you also need the storage on the target-side for the batch-files and the
need space for eventuell growth and temporary files.

You can then copy these batch-files with --append, make sure the
target-rsync is dead before you retry, for an added bonus i would MD5
the file on the source side and veryify it after copying. After you have
transferred a complete batch-file, you can apply it. (Use 'screen' if
you do it remotely)

That's about what I was trying to suggest myself. Let rsync generate delta data locally-only with the batch option, then let bittorrent deliver the delta data over the crappy network, then let rsync apply the delta locally on the other end.

--
bkw