On 2012-01-16 3:03 PM, Kevin Korb <k...@sanitarium.net> wrote:
On 01/16/12 09:55, L. V. Lammert wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Satish Shukla wrote:
b)      pulling  the data from source to destination   ( i.e.
running rsync from destination machine)

The main reason to pull is with hard linking of the saved files,
e.g. rsnapshot - only possible with a pull operation. Security is
also a little better, as you have a single authorized command key
on the remote machine so the backup machine can be secured better
(behind a firewall).

> Actually, rsync is completely capable of doing hard links
> (--link-dest) in push or pull mode.  It is rsnapshot that artificially
> imposes that limitation to rsync.

Eh?? What are you two talking about?

I've been doing push backups with hardlinks using rsnapshot for a long time. My understanding is that this is much *slower* than pulling them, but it certainly *works*.

--

Best regards,

Charles