On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Mark Stead <mark.st...@unico.com.au> wrote:

> Is there any option that I've overlooked whereby I can force rsync to
> synchronise modified files (in addition to handling appended files).

No, rsync expects you to handle just appended files in --append mode.  You
should use include/exclude/filter rules to ensure that the files in the
transfer are only those that are known to be growing via appended data or
you risk rsync adding data onto a file with an earlier change and thus
create a quick-check false-match.  For the non-append run you might
consider using --inplace, or just exclude all files that are being updated
via appending.

..wayne..