On Wed 30 Dec 2015, Paul Slootman wrote:

> -q seems to override -v completely, but when combined with --progress,
> a single newline is output when there are no updates transferred; but if
> a file *was* updated nothing at all is output.
>
> It seems that there might be some short-circuited code when nothing is
> trasferred, but that a check for quiet mode is skipped somehow.

The bug report in Debian below may be related:
Here the issue is basically that a newline is *missing* after --progress
output has been generated. The output basically is:

 0 files...^M 400 files...^M 2500 files...^M 4600 files...^Ma1/
a2/

The a1/ part overwrites the " 4600 files..." part partially.

perhaps the extraneous newline in my first part is related to this
missing newline here?

Paul