> There's no reason to escape an "=" sign in the above command.

Okay, so at a certain level I agree with you and that's how I've fixed
the issue.

All the stuff about config files is not feasible for a variety of
reasons - I'm aware of those options. I appreciate that you took the
time to explain them.

I think the problem is the assumptions in do_cmd about the contents of
the -e argument.

In my opinion, the way this is split needs to be deferred back to the
user's shell to work correctly. I'm not sure if there is an easy way
to do this that works for any kind of shell.

Assuming that -e is stored into rsh_cmd, and is user supplied for
executing on the shell, the only valid thing you can really do with it
is:

execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", rsh_cmd, (char *) NULL);

(assuming that sh is the user's current shell, might want to use
$SHELL or something else).

It might make more sense if rsh_cmd used string substitution rather
than argument splitting, e.g. -e 'ssh $HOST'  this way, no splitting
would be required. In lots of ways this is more flexible. For example,
appending the host might not be useful in some contexts.

Anyway, rsync is pretty awesome. the -e option is only a minor
annoyance, but it would be nice if this discussion could result in a
tangible improvement.