On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 14:43:57 +0100
Axel Kittenberger <axk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not only that, but inotify is not guaranteed.  (At least not on
> > 3.16.0.  Can't say regards later versions.)  So you might miss some
> > changes.
> >

> Got any info on that?
>
> I noted that MOVE_FROM and MOVE_TO events are not guaranted to arrive
> in order, or even the file descriptor might briefly close with "no
> more events" inbetween them, but I never ever heared of anybody
> encountering an issue of an event in a watched directory on not being
> correctly reported, without getting the information of an overlfow
> with an OVERFLOW event, which results in case of Lsyncd in a full
> rescan of everything.

Not much.  inotify(7) on my system says:

       With careful programming, an application can use inotify to
       efficiently monitor and cache the state of a set of filesystem
       objects.   However, robust applications should allow for the
       fact that bugs in the monitor‐ ing logic or races of the kind
       described  below  may  leave  the  cache inconsistent  with  the
       filesystem state.  It is probably wise to to do some consistency
       checking, and rebuild the cache  when  inconsistencies are
       detected.

I think one of the pretty much unavoidable race conditions is
sub-directory creation; the sub-directory can have files added
to it before the monitoring process is able to set a watch
on it.  Of course this is an application level race.

I've had incron (which uses inotify) regularly fail to
catch all monitored fs changes on a busy system.  And
the monitored system does not involve creating sub-directories --
and I don't think I'm exceeding the system's inotify event limit
either.  But I could be wrong about either of these.

So perhaps the take-away is that inotify is "hard", or even
"impossible" to rely on as the sole method for change monitoring.
It may not be right to say it's "unreliable" as I did above.
I'm not the expert here.  But I can say that my limited
experience with it makes me want to look very closely
before relying on it.

Regards,

Karl <k...@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein