Hi all,

I am using rsync to synchronize across two different filesystems (one is an sshfs mount, while the other one is an xfs).

I am synchronizing from the xfs to the sshfs one.

The xfs filesystem has a sub-second resolution for modification timestamps, while the sshfs one has a 1-second resolution.

My synchronization are always rather slow. When investigating why, I realized that rsync is attempting to set the modification timestamp for a bunch of files every single time, even though they have not changed. Since I use the --size-only option, it is not transferring files (they have not changed), but it is nevertheless attempting to set the modification times.

Looking through the manpage, I discovered "--modify-window" which, presumably, when set to 1, should avoid this behavior. Unfortunately, it does not. I would expect that with "--modify-window=1", it would only attempt to update the remote timestamp if the time delta is larger than 1 second.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

I am using rsync  version 3.1.2  protocol version 31

--
Maxime Boissonneault