On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 7:44 PM Alan Stern via rsync
> <rsync@lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > What is the reason for this behavior?  Is there any way for rsync to
> > preserve these attributes?  If not, how can rsync be used to make a
> > reliable complete system backup?

> Also, I don't know of any usage of such attributes.  (Are you
> encountering an actual real-world use-case?)

No, this was a theoretical question (thank goodness).

I can easily understand that dealing with filesystem-specific
attributes might be very difficult.  They are going to be different for
different kinds of filesystems, and some of them could make rsync's job
a lot harder (for instance, if rsync needs to update an immutable
file).

Still, it was surprising to see that rsync apparently ignores the
subject altogether.

Alan Stern