Hi,

There is a security issue in rsync that needs to be disclosed to the team.
Similar issues in other tools have CVEs of high severity assigned to them, and
rsync has such an issue as well.

I would like to enable the rsync maintainers to be aware of, and hopefully to
fix the issue. I know of it since about 15 years back and assume it has been
there more or less from the beginning, but I failed then to realize back then
that it should have been reported and later disclosed as a CVE, so better late
than never. It resurfaced in a discussion with a friend.

I have looked at the homepage, GitHub repo and issues, bugzilla and could not
find the issue in there. Also I didn't find how to securely and privately
disclose security issues to the team. I would be happy to submit it through the
security advisories function on GitHub for discussion if you could enable the
function, or provide a different option to share the finding?

I am in the process of doing a write-up of the issue to submit to you.

Best regards
Philippe