> And let me do what you suggest.  What is the difference, and is --backup
> better than the other ?

Only in conjunction with -backup-dir, for example

--backup --backup-dir=_Changed and deleted files/2021/Jul/19@21:21

The man page's entry for --backup suggests using it with either --backup-dir or --suffix

From: Charles via rsync <rsync@lists.samba.org>
To: rsync@lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: Utility of --backup
Date: 19/07/2021 14:26:59 Europe/Paris

 >IThe --backup option is great for creating "rolling full" backups which
 >look exactly like the backed up tree except for the existence of the
 >backup directory

I am not really understanding the "Rolling Full Backup".  Suppose I have a directory
and use `rsync -av --progress --log-file="$logfl" "$source" "$destin"`

And let me do what you suggest.  What is the difference, and is --backup better than the other ?

Would the command be

rsync --backup -v --progress --log-file="$logfl" "$source" "$destin"

 >Here's how a Linux backup directory tree looks as created by backup
 >utility bung's bu_rsync script

+-- bin -> usr/bin
+-- boot
|   +-- grub