On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com [mailto:rsyslog-
boun...@lists.adiscon.com] On Behalf Of Timur I. Bakeyev
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:27 PM
Hi, Rainer!

Of course you know internals of rsyslog better, so can't argue with you
here. But as for the end user such behavior for me looks undesired.
What
I'd expect:

1. All local(imuxsock) go to the local log files.
2. All remote messages would be spooled in an $ActionQueueFileName
file.
3. Nothing would block

Yup - so why not configure it that way?

Rainer,

looking through his partial config, it looks like he does have a separate action queue with disk assist configured for the sending to the remote host. I'm not that familiar with the disk queues, so I may be missing what he's done wrong here, but shouldn't this queue the logs to disk and not block unless the disk is full?

David Lang

And configuration:

$MaxMessageSize 8k
$ModLoad imuxsock # provides support for local system logging
$ModLoad imklog   # provides kernel logging support

# Store PID of the process in the log
$SystemLogUsePIDFromSystem on
# Rate limit for imuxsock
$SystemLogRateLimitInterval 1
$SystemLogRateLimitBurst 500

$WorkDirectory /var/spool/rsyslog

$ModLoad imfile
$InputFilePollInterval 5

$InputFileName /var/log/nginx/access.log
$InputFilePersistStateInterval 100
$InputFileTag nginx/access:
$InputFileStateFile nginx_access_log_state
$InputFileFacility local7
$InputFileSeverity notice
$InputRunFileMonitor

$ActionQueueType                        LinkedList      # enable a
separate queue for this action
$ActionQueueFileName                 remote           # set file name,
also enables disk mode
$ActionResumeRetryCount            -1                  # infinite
retries on insert failure
$ActionQueueSaveOnShutdown     on
*.*                                               @@10.0.0.200