Resurrecting this thread for a discussing a deviation from old
lookup_table proposal.

The PR doesn't include load_lookup_table (a rainerscript statement
that is supposed to reload lookup table).

Original proposal link: http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/lookup_tables.html

Im thinking of implementing it using a function
reload_lookup_table(name) and a statement
stub_lookup_table_value(value).

It allows better composability and leaves room for better backward
compatibility.

Its possible to get the same effect as the load_lookup_table(...) gets
in the proposed form using:

if (not reload_lookup_table("foo")) then {
  stub_lookup_table_value("reload_failed")
}

However, it can be composed with other rainerscript controls. Eg. one
can log failiures to reload table to a separate log-file, increment a
metric which reports this failure, or send it to a remote destination.

if (not reload_lookup_table("foo")) then {
  action(type="omfile"...)
}

Functionally, this is all that matters.

Have a look at PR(comments) for details (backward compatibility issue etc).