The ideal solution would be one that identifies host, log-source and
time of loss along with accurate number of messages lost.

pstats makes sense, but correlating data from stats across large
number of machines will be difficult (some machines may send stats
slightly delayed which may skew aggregation etc).

One approach I can think of: slap a stream-identifier and
sequence-number on each received message, then find gaps in sequence
number for a session-id on the other side (as a query over log-store
etc).

Large issues such as producer suddenly going silent can be detected
using macro mechanisms (like pstats).

--
Regards,
Janmejay