On Fri, 9 Sep 2016, Raffael Sahli wrote:

Hey Radu

Thanks for help.

Actually I tried $ActionResumeRetryCount with a value 10, @see 2nd configuration. But faced the same problem.

Strange thing is, I deployed new rsyslog configs without the remote forwarding, but this morning one server was unresponsive again, same problem.

Does anybody know, can this also happen without remote forwarding?

where are your local logs being written? is there any chance that it's running out of space or otherwise falling behind (think of a slow NFS server)

remember that even with retries = 10 rsyslog won't stop completely, but it will slow things down drastically so that it appears to be dead.

Maybe this more a general syslog problem, as far as I know the RFC, since syslog should never loose any messages by default. I just like to know what rsyslog config I should use with remote forwarding, but without any timeout for syslog services if syslog is somehow unresponsive.

per the syslog spec it should block forever if it can't deliver the message.

But to really see what's going on, configure impstats and have it write to a local file, that will let you see what's going on when it appears to stalls.