> Ideally I'm trying to group on each sending host by the destination of the
> data.  The main queue will be for local disk write and a secondary queue for
> network forwarding so there's no chance it can block the local disk writes.
>
> As I have it written in my example the best I can come up with is a queue for
> each remote port (which is still an improvement over what I have now, so
> thanks for that).  I am trying to figure out if there's a way to collapse
> that further into one network forwarding queue instead of a separate queue
> for each remote port, so I end with two queues total.  I can't see any way to
> do that while still maintaining the multiple destination ports.

I see two ways:

1. (not sure if all modules support this): use a dedicted queue for
local logging (ruleset="" param for local input module required) and
use the regular main queue for the rest

2. put all forwarding actions into a SINGLE rule set and have some
logic inside it to select which action (aka port) you need to call for
a given message

> As a secondary concern, I am pushing this config out to a few hundred servers
> via puppet.  If I go with the example configuration I will be creating 12
> queues times 250 rsyslog senders, so I'm concerned about the possibility of
> eating up resources for queues that may never be used on a host.  Does
> rsyslog consume any resources for a queue that's never called on a linux host?

Not noticable, except when using "fixedArray" for the in memory queue.
But even then the overhead is very low.

HTH
Rainer