read modes other than 0 currently seem to have issues in inotify mode

   Any open issues? it's an based-on-experienced-warning message? legacy?

I am not aware of one, which does not necessarily mean none exists. So
you need to check the issue trackers :-(

The longer-term question is if we should grandfather readMode. The
performance difference seems not to be much, and a single approach is
much better to maintain.
I won't remove that until it has been confirmed or not if that's actually an issue.

no, because other input modules don't hard-code these values, they set
them based on the message they receive. It doesn't make sense to have them
apply to all modules.
I don't understand your reasoning here.
Why it makes sense to set tag when using imfile but not with imtcp?
because a syslog message contains tag.
mind-blowing explanation :P