Evening all,

I've mostly finished my last personal project, so my thoughts are turning
to omriemann.

I'm trying to work out how we might configure the module. Riemann requires
that we send a protobuf encoded message containing a few pre-set fields,
plus whatever additional fields we feel like forwarding.

host: localhost
service: cpu-load-average/1m
state: ok
time: 1480661786
tags: ["laptop", "personal"]
metric: 0.58
ttl: 120
my-custom-field: 27

This makes it unusual for an rsyslog module: usually rsyslog is happy to
ship arbitrary strings to a destination and only cares about the _framing_
of your data: omelasticsearch, ommysql, omkafka, omrelp etc. all accept
some number of static parameters, plus a free-form template for the actual
message.

Omriemann, in order to be useful, will need to impose some structure on the
message itself.

How do people think we should configure the module so that people have
flexibility over the host, metric value, metric name, and tags on a
per-message basis?

I guess the simplest thing that could possibly work is defining a simple
message format, eg. `host=foo; metric_f=0.6;
service=rsyslog.impstats/utime; timestamp=1480661786` that messages need to
conform to. We can then parse out the key/value pairs in the module and
encode them to protobuf.

Alternatively, we could set up the structure of the message in the config
itself, like this:

action(
   type="omriemann"
   host="$hostname"
   metric="$!metric.value"
   service="$!metric.name")

That seems more user-friendly, but rules out using custom fields. I guess
I'd have to create a new template per-field during module begin.

On a related note, I think I remember seeing some discussion of conversion
functions recently. Some of the fields need to valid integers, floats, unix
timestamps etc. What's the best way of parsing those out?