On Sat, 8 Jul 2017, deoren wrote:

Looking around I learned of these two directives:

$DebugLevel 2
$DebugFile /var/log/rsyslog-debug.log

I added those, rebooted the VM and quickly had lots of debug info to work with. In the file I found these entries:

5676.682567045:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: error 111 in getaddrinfo
5676.682583062:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: end relpSessConnect, iRet 10014
5676.682588226:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: Action 1 transitioned to state: rtry 5676.682594836:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: action 'sendToLogserver': is transactional - executing in commit phase 5676.682597400:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: actionDoRetry: sendToLogserver enter loop, iRetries=0, ResumeInRow 1
5676.682684496:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: error 111 in getaddrinfo
5676.682688779:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: end relpSessConnect, iRet 10014
5676.682691652:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: actionDoRetry: sendToLogserver action->tryResume returned -2007 5676.682693866:sendToLogserver queue:Reg/w0: actionDoRetry: sendToLogserver check for max retries, iResumeRetryCount -1, iRetries 0

I believe that getaddrinfo is attempting to lookup the IP for the given FQDN, but it's failing with whatever error 111 is. Looking at the counts given by way of the impstats module, it appears that the queue is only growing and even if the system appears to be fully functional and other daemons are accessing the network without issue, rsyslog still refuses to send messages to the remote system.

If rsyslog is unable to resolve the name, it cannot send the message. I always put the log destinations in /etc/hosts or configure it to send to an IP address.

rsyslog will suspend sending logs when the attempt to connect fails, and will only retry periodically (with a back-off to keep from probing too frequently as the probes themselves can be a problem)

we've had other people report that the backoff gets unreasonably long, we should put in a limit to how long it will wait.

In your debug logs, look for the initial suspend message, it should say when it will try again (you can also configure rsyslog to log suspends and resumes as well)